Date: Tue 27th Nov 2018 - Wed 28th Nov 2018 Time: All Day
ASIST is a comprehensive two day course which enables participants to become more willing, ready and able to help persons at risk of suicide. Approved by the World Health Organisation, ASIST is a standardised, certified programme teaching a robust model of suicide intervention.
This is a 2 day certificated course and will be held at Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh. The course is available for up to 30 delegates and will run from 08.45hrs through to approximately 16.30hrs each day. The course is free to AUCSO members but delegates will need to fund their own travel and accommodation.
Learning goals and objectives
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
- Presentations and guidance from two registered trainers
- A scientifically proven intervention model
- Powerful audio-visual learning aids
- Group discussions
- Skills practice and development
- A balance of challenge and safety
Accommodation is available at the Courtyard Marriott hotel on the Heriot Watt University campus. Alternative hotels are available in the area.
To take advantage of the group booking rate (£85 pppn B&B) at The Courtyard Marriott Hotel, follow this link: Book your group rate for AUCSO – Mental Health Courses This offer is available until 15 October 2018, after which a best rate will be offered. Tea/coffee and lunch is provided free to delegates attending the course and there is a restaurant at the hotel serving evening meals.
Free car parking is available on campus.