Date: Tue 14th May 2019 Time: All Day
We are pleased to offer members a further opportunity to send staff on our MHFR one-day certified course which will be held on the 14th of May 2019 at the University of Gloucestershire.
The aim of the course is to amplify and enhance current skills to allow participants:
- To preserve life by being alert to the risks of psychological crisis (alertness being the key term distinguishing from previous approaches to awareness only).
- To acknowledge mental and emotional needs in the same way as physical needs.
- To gather appropriate information by asking the right questions (not being afraid to pose the difficult question, i.e. “Are you talking about committing suicide or harming yourself?”
- To listen actively, hearing the person’s story and recognising tacit invitations to become involved and help.
- To empathise and explore ways to increase safety and prevent harm.
- To dynamically risk review the situation, if necessary, cajoling the person towards appropriate professional care.
- To challenge the stigma and discrimination around mental health and appreciate the power of individuals and the University community to help and support.
- To increase knowledge and actively participate in creating a mentally heathier and suicide safer University.
- To empower the University community to act, being academically and mentally more robust.
Participants may include but is not limited to, Managers, Supervisors or Officers from Security Teams, or any front-line staff such as Residential Advisors, Student Support Services, Hall Wardens etc. Delegates will be given accredited certificates of attendance.
The course will be held at the University of Gloucestershire, Oxstalls Campus and is currently offered free of charge to AUCSO members, but does not include accommodation, evening meals or travel.
The Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) will be held over the following 2 days, 15-16 May at the same venue.
Book on-line– to reserve delegate places please use the on-line booking form below. If you wish to attend both courses please register separately for each course. Course places will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis and limited to 5 per institution though further spaces may be released if available nearer the date.
Members must book travel and accommodation for each delegate as required. Recommended hotels:
- Premier Inn Gloucester (Longford) (15-20 min walk or 10 min drive to venue), with Beefeater Inn adjacent.
- IBIS Gloucester20-30 min walk or 10 min drive.
There are lots of other hotels across the city etc with similar commutes. Some people may prefer to stay near the quays to enjoy the restaurants/pubs in the evening.
Car parking is available at £2 per day at the University of Gloucestershire but must be booked in advance with Rachel Porter firstname.lastname@example.org