Date: Wed 9th Oct 2019 Time: All Day
The University Mental Health First Responder Course is a 1 day AUCSO certificated course. The aim of the course is to amplify and enhance current skills to allow participants;
- To preserve life by being alert to the risks of psychological crisis (alertness being the key term distinguishing from previous approaches to awareness only).
- To acknowledge mental and emotional needs in the same way as physical needs.
- To gather appropriate information by asking the right questions (not being afraid to pose the difficult question, i.e. “Are you talking about committing suicide or harming yourself?”.
- To listen actively, hearing the person’s story and recognising tacit invitations to become involved and help.
- To empathise and explore ways to increase safety and prevent harm.
- To dynamically risk review the situation, if necessary cajoling the person towards appropriate professional care.
- To challenge the stigma and discrimination around mental health and appreciate the power of individuals and the University community to help and support.
- To increase knowledge and actively participate in creating a mentally heathier and suicide safer University.
- To empower the University community to act, being academically and mentally more robust.
Limited free places are available to all AUCSO members (with priority for Ireland region). To book delegate places please complete the registration form below. Delegates are required to fund their own travel and accommodation as required. Further details will be sent to all those who register.